Friday, April 2, 2010

Unit 9 Post

Running Head: My Holistic and Integral Health Plan





Gina Costello
HW420-03
My Holistic and Integral Health Plan
Professor Fouhy
March 31, 2010






My Holistic and Integral Health Plan
I. Introduction
It is important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually, and physically because they then can learn to understand their patients/clients as a whole. They can not only help their patients/clients to treat their symptoms, but they can also help them to reveal underlying causes that they may not even realize as problems. In order to reach my personal goals, I must experince growth in two areas: physical and spiritual.
II. Assessment
On a scale of 1-10, I can rate my self as follows:
Spiritual Wellness- 6
Physical Wellness- 2
Psychological Wellness- 9
I assess that I am a strong spiritual person that is not stopping to reflect and keep communication open. I physically am a mess. I need to move, move, move, and psychologically I am healthy with the need to stop and clear my mind on a daily basis.
III. Goal Development
One goal for myself in each area would be:
Physical Wellness- To begin to exercise on a regular basis
Spiritual Wellness- To schedule a time for daily reflection
Psychological Wellness- I want to stay away from negativity and negative thoughts
IV. Practices for Personal Health
Strategies that I could use to reach my physical wellness goal is to set up a workout program for myself. For example, I could speed walk on a daily basis and use the ab circle daily. Strategies to reach my spiritual wellness goal would be to set up a moment of the day to reflect, pray, and read the Lord’s word. Lastly, a strategy to reach my psychological goal would be to watch my company and use the mind exercises that I learned this term on a daily basis. Examples of these exercises are the 3 minute reflection and subtle mind.
V. Commitment
For the next six months I will make a chart and record my progress in the above areas daily. I will make my family be my support and help me on my way. This attempt at growth will start on the 15th day of April 2010 so I can move through the preparation steps toward success. I will keep a progressive and supportive journal and scrapbook to guide me from start to finish on my journey to health, happiness and wholeness. If I can prove satisfactory progress with my goals for one month, I will add one more exercise/activity.


References
Dacher, Elliot S. M.D. ( 2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for being honest with your final project. Do you ever feel that since your rating in your physical fitness is low that is can sometimes affect your psychological rating. I know that sometimes when I am feeling low physically the rest of me is kind of in the toilet ae well. I know you can reach your goals as long as you stay focused and on track. I have to live by those words as well. I think we all do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina,

    This class has given us all an opportunity to assess where we are and where we want to go. I think that when we honestly look at where we are and recognize the barriers that have been in the way of progress, we can start to tear the barriers down. This is what I have gained from the class. By your blog posting I can see you are well on your way, also. I was a little tickled when I read you commitment. You and I are on the same path--I am going to implement a chart to track my progress, too.

    Much success on your journey Gina.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina

    Your commitment looks to be on the right path. Using your family as your support is so important in reaching your goals; and in the process you can help them reach some as well. Anytime we feel off track, it may be a good idea to keep this project at hand just to remind ourselves where we want to be. Good luck in your future endeavors Gina, it was great being in class with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    I think it is nice that you are going to keep a journal, and scrap book of your progress of your journey to health , happiness and wholeness. Just remember God is your strength and salvation.

    ReplyDelete